Re: Start working on -5

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:42:12PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Ok guys, time to review some work:
>
> -3 was my fuck up. I have to apologize with the community for pushing
> Branden and uploading myself without testing. That was clearly my fault in
> evaluating the situation.
>
> -4 "the rescue release". thanks Branden and sorry that i ruined your
> weekend. It shouldn't have happened.

No seriously hard feelings from me.  I suggest you use this as a
learning experience about how people will put heavy pressure on you to
rush their toy patch into a big complex package like xfree86 and then
disappear just when it's time to test the change.  (Probably headed out
to the pub, no? :-P)

There are so many little screwups that go unnoticed by our users in
smaller packages because the change/build/test cycle is much faster.

I know you already know most of this from maintaining Apache, a package
which scares the bejeezus out of me, but XFree86 is its own wicked
passel new lessons learned and old lessons relearned.

Naturally, it doesn't help that I seem to have brain damage when it
comes to writing grep commands.  I guess part of my mind thinks grep is
always reading from a pipe.

> I have been thinking also to prioritize always drivers bug fixes
> (where possible and when it applies) to give more time to testers to
> downloadtrunk, build and test. Is there any objections to take this
> direction?

That sounds like a good idea, and will start to work according to that
policy.

> If you have any comments speak now ;)

I have several items I'd like to add to the list.  They all have patches
in the BTS or are small-scale changes I understand how to write.

 * #251307: xserver-xfree86: [ati/atimisc] XVideo apps crash X server; complaints
   of unresolved symbol xf86XVCopyYUV12ToPacked on 3D Rage IIC AGP rev 122
   Michel Dänzer reports that this is due to failure to export that symbol
   via SYMFUNC() in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/loader/xf86sym.c.

[debconf stuff]
   + #251568: Cope with the ever-changing format of lspci -n output.  Need to
     handle both "bus:device.function" and "domain:bus:device.function".

   + Add 1280x1024@60Hz as selectable mode when configuring monitor by resolution
     and refresh rate.

   + #251808: wrongly rejects SBUS BusID strings (should accept simple integers,
     too)

 * Make an xlibmesa-dri.bug script to gather some info --- video card vendor and
   model, if nothing else.  See #248453 for Michel Dänzer's recommendations.

 * #201737: fix U.K. Macintosh keyboard support

 * #251310: xlibs: implement compose:caps

 * #229785: xutils: [sessreg] thinks all hostnames with '.' in them are the same

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     engineering.  "Supernatural" is a