Re: evdev Keyboard Driver: Support for extra keys?

Am Di, den 01.06.2004 schrieb Zephaniah E. Hull um 16:20:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 03:44:36AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:55:58PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> > > CC'ing Zephaniah E. Hull, who seems to be the person who contributed the
> > > patch in question.
> > [...]
> > > I hope I'm asking this question in the right place, since the evdev
> > > support patch seems to be Debian specific.  I was trying to get my
> > > keyboard (Sun Type 6 USB) to work with the evdev driver, and I found a
> > > whole lot of keys reporting scancode 7, even more than in "regular"
> > > operation, without the evdev stuff.  Then I read these lines in the
> > > patch:
> > [...]
> > > ... which could explain that.  Is there a specific reason why these
> > > codes are mapped to KEY_UNKNOWN?  I mean, if Linux recognizes them
> > > (which I'm not sure about -- is there a way to verify that besides
> > > hexdumping /dev/input/event*?), it would be cool to pass them on to the
> > > user.
> >
> > I'm going to have to defer to Zeph on this one.
> >
> > Zeph, can you shed some light on this, please?
>
> Er, the answer is quite simple really.
>
> I could find nothing to map them /TO/ on the X side of things.

That's what I expected. :-(

> This could simply be my missing something, but I really could find no
> keycodes to map those to.  Nor someplace to throw unknown codes on mass.
>
> Does anyone have some bright ideas on how to handle them?

I'm certainly no expert on this, but my impression is that XF86 doesn't
have a very clear concept on how the translation from raw scancodes to
X11 scancodes should work.  (And what the difference between the two
should be -- IMHO the distinction is superfluous anyway.  Shouldn't the
XKB layer deal with this conversion?)

So basically, our task would be to keep all keys which do report
scancodes now AT-compatible and find a "working" mapping for the other
ones?  In the best of all worlds, this mapping should be compatible with
the mapping that XF86 does for AT keyboards which aren't connected
through evdev.  I wonder if that is possible at all.

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!