Re: proposed X Strike Force commit/changelog policy

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:20:45PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > * When doing a commit that should be logged in the debian/changelog
> >   file, edit the debian/changelog file before doing the commit and
> >   commit the change to it along with the rest of your change set.
>
> As a point of interest, do you ever find yourself working on more than
> one thing at a time in the same checkout, and how do you juggle the
> debian/changelog changes then?

When I find myself "forking" into two different changesets, I save the
file I'm editing with a ".new" extension and then undo the changes that
aren't relevant to one of the change sets.

I then finish change set #1, document it in debian/changelog if
necessary, and commit.

I then mv the .new file on top of the original.  It should now just have
a diff for change set #2.  If need be, I edit it to continue working on
that change.  When I'm done with that change set, I document it in
debian/changelog if necessary, and commit.

That's just my approach.  I don't know if others would find it
palatable.

> > * Here's a new one that I myself didn't realize was important until this
> >   morning: always include the name of each file being changed in your
> >   commit log.  This seems redundant until you realize that "svn log"
> >   operations can be run on directories.
>
> Of course subversion knows what files that change touched. This sounds
> more like a deficiency of svn log; it should be able to list the files.

Yes, and I'm tempted to agree about the output of svn log when run on a
directory, but I still think documenting the specific changes done to
each file is a good diea.

> > What do you guys think?
>
> I'm not part of your team, but I have some interest in subversion and
> some of the same issues, so pardon me for weighing in..

No problem at all.  Please chime in whenever you like.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Men are born ignorant, not stupid.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     They are made stupid by education.