Re: proposed X Strike Force commit/changelog policy

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 03:59:09AM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
>  Here is one more detail proposal to write each entry of
> debian/changelog. What do you think about this?
>
>  Currently, we wrote each entries in debian/changelog to to file
> oriented, for example:
>
>   * debian/control:
>     - Change all references to libstdc++5-dev to be
>       libstdc++5-dev | libstdc++-dev, allowing libstdc++5-3.3-dev to satiffy
>       the dependency, and thus allowing gcc3.2 to be removed.
>       (Closes: #194136)
>     - New xlibmesa-drm-src package. (Closes: #139817)
>
>  But our work will be changeset oriented, so I think that it will
> probably be better to write each entry in debian/changes to changeset
> oriented. For example:
>
>   * Use external Xft, Xrender and Xcursor libraries         [ISHIKAWA Mutsumi]
>     - patch #058, #059, #060: new;
>     - patch #909: remove (reimplemented as above patches);
>     - xlibs{,-dbg,-dev}.*, shlibs*: drop Xrender and Xcursor related entry
>     - debian/control: add Build-Depends: libxrender-dev, libxcursor-dev
>
>  On each entry would describe:
>   - Short title of changeset.
>   - some more short descriptions
>   - bug close entry (if needed)
>   - some more detail document pointer (if needed)
>   - (Committed revision of this changeset for more detail)?
>
>  Perhaps debian/changelog will be clear to describe
>    `this release contains what kind of changes.'

I agree entirely.  The current format is just a holdover from when I
needed to be able to hand-revert changes on a file-by-file basis.
Revision control makes that unnecessary.

Thanks!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     engineering.  "Supernatural" is a