Re: i810 in X 4.1/2

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 09:41:25PM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your response, Branden. More than that, thanks for
> all your work in this area.

Thank *you* for the kind words!  :)

> |> In XFree86 4.0.1, at least, the amount of video RAM available
> |> allocated in the absence of a VideoRam line on i810 machines was
> |> something like 512kB.
> |>
> |> Too little for most people's purposes.
>
> OK, do I understand from this that, for i810 controllers at least, the
> amount of video RAM can be set, in principle, as one likes?  This is
> what I gathered from some of the posts I read, but it's not obvious
> from the documentation at the XFree86 site.

That's correct, though there are certainly limits on what you can use.

I wouldn't bother allocating less than a megabyte or more than 16.  I
also wouldn't use anything that isn't a power of two.  :)

[...]
> In the config file:
>
>    Section "Monitor"
>              Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>              HorizSync       28-49
>              VertRefresh     43-72
>              Option          "DPMS"
>    EndSection
>
> >From the log-file:
>
> (--) I810(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
> (**) I810(0): Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
> (II) I810(0): Modeline "1024x768"   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

Well, that would explain it.  Some people are very sensitive to refresh
rates of 60 Hertz, and this can be exacerbated by fluorescent lights in
North America which cycle at the frequency of wall current, which is
also 60 Hz.  I've also seen nearby AC motors cause more disruption to
CRTs that are refreshing at 60Hz.

The VESA organization recommends refresh rates of no less than 72Hz.

Your Monitor settings are pretty conservative.  What kind of monitor do
you have?  You might try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and
selecting a higher monitor "quality".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Please do not look directly into