Re: How do I put X on hold?

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 01:54, John Gay wrote:
> On Sat 18 May 2002 22:23, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 23:07, John Gay wrote:
> > > I've got a GVX1 video card, which is only supported by xfree86>4.2.0 so I
> > > had the sources for 4.2.0 on a CD, so a little reading of Makefiles and
> > > such I figured out how to make World, back-up the now useless x config
> > > stuff and installed 4.2.0 from source. Now I can use my GVX1 card but I'm
> > > afraid to dist-upgrade incase apt replaces all my carefully installed and
> > > configured 4.2.0 with Brandens 4.1.0 .deb's.
> >
> > Well, overwriting the installed system with a self-built XFree86 wasn't
> > a good idea in the first place. Unofficial 4.2 debs have been posted to
> > this list, or if you want to build yourself, that can be done without
> > interfering with the packaging system.
>
> I understand that building and installing XFree86 from source over the
> previous system was not ideal, but since it was March, there were no hints of
> .deb's, in fact the 4.2.0 sources were rather new. According to the XFree86
> FAQ's installing a new X over an existing X was not only O.K., but should be
> rather painless. I realise that Debian does things differently, but X seemed
> similar enough.

You can still try 4.2 debs, but if you insist on building yourself, I
suggest you keep the Debian X packages installed and use ProjectRoot and
friends when building and/or ModulePath in XF86Config-4 when running.

As for the XIG stuff, I don't consider anything beyond alien worth the
effort, but that's your call.