How do I put X on hold?

I realise this is not exactly a support forum, but,

I've got a GVX1 video card, which is only supported by xfree86>4.2.0 so I had
the sources for 4.2.0 on a CD, so a little reading of Makefiles and such I
figured out how to make World, back-up the now useless x config stuff and
installed 4.2.0 from source. Now I can use my GVX1 card but I'm afraid to
dist-upgrade incase apt replaces all my carefully installed and configured
4.2.0 with Brandens 4.1.0 .deb's. I've also been playing with xig's demo
Accelerated-X server to get full advantage of 3D acceleration and stereo
output. I'm finally starting to get comfortable with X and it's
configuration, but just a little.

I'm not entirely sure how much of my current X is:
1) 4.2.0 from the sources I compiled and installed on top of the old X.
2) Old X from brandens previous .deb's left behind when I installed the
sources.
3) Accelerated-X's stuff. I know the demo server only runs for several
minutes at a time, but I'm worried about support stuff like the OpenGL stuff.

I've got a list of most of the packages apt wants to install with

apt-get -s dist-upgrade|grep 4.1.0-

But I'm still worried about related stuff like the Mesa/OpenGL stuff, mixed
libs and what-not.

With Woody getting nearer to freezing, I'd really like to dist-upgrade soon,
but not destroy my currently bastardized-but-working X. I'm fairle confident
that once Branden get a chance to get the next generation of X debianized I
won't have to worry about the dist-upgrade, but until then, I am worried.

So . . .

What do I need to put on hold to be sure that a dist-upgrade does not shatter
my current fragile X system? How do I check exactly which X-related software
packages my system is using, since many parts are NOT from .deb's? I won't
insult anyone by asking when 4.2.0 deb's will be out, I know the Woody freeze
is too important! Branden does great work for Debian AND for X by ensuring
full compatibility before releasing deb's into the wild! I jsut want to be
sure that the next dist-upgrade will not thrash my currently working X. I'd
hate to spend several more days building, installing and tweaking 4.2.0
sources again.

Cheers,

	John Gay