Re: How do I put X on hold?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:54:22AM +0100, John Gay wrote:
> On Sat 18 May 2002 22:23, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 23:07, John Gay wrote:
> > > I've got a GVX1 video card, which is only supported by xfree86>4.2.0 so I
> > > had the sources for 4.2.0 on a CD, so a little reading of Makefiles and
> > > such I figured out how to make World, back-up the now useless x config
> > > stuff and installed 4.2.0 from source. Now I can use my GVX1 card but I'm
> > > afraid to dist-upgrade incase apt replaces all my carefully installed and
> > > configured 4.2.0 with Brandens 4.1.0 .deb's.
> >
> > Well, overwriting the installed system with a self-built XFree86 wasn't
> > a good idea in the first place. Unofficial 4.2 debs have been posted to
> > this list, or if you want to build yourself, that can be done without
> > interfering with the packaging system.
>
> I understand that building and installing XFree86 from source over the
> previous system was not ideal, but since it was March, there were no hints of
> .deb's, in fact the 4.2.0 sources were rather new. According to the XFree86
> FAQ's installing a new X over an existing X was not only O.K., but should be
> rather painless. I realise that Debian does things differently, but X seemed
> similar enough.

The ideal way of doing this is to install stuff into /usr/local/X11R6,
and modify the /etc/X11 file which calls the X server.

You would need to add some configuration options to one or two of the xc/config/cf files to do this (mostly the ProjectRoot).

> I got the results I wanted, I.E. working X for my GVX1 card. Not an ideal
> situation. With the lack of proper 3D support, it looks like I'll still need
> to resort to using Accelerated-X for 3D acceleration. That option leaves me
> in a similar situation. I need to put the Debian X packages, and related libs
> on hold to maintain proper X support.

Sorry, i had no time fro finishing the 3D accell stuff, altough i did
look at it still yesterday, it could be easily done, since the support
for the GMX2000 is already there (altough the gamma drm kernel driver is
still 4.0 and not the newer one).

> Would I be better off purging the Debian X packages? And if so, how do I
> solve the conflict of not having X installed, but having KDE and X
> applications? I suppose with enough reading, I could probably build custom
> .deb's from the XFree86 sources, but how about the Accelerated-X stuff? Is it
> possible to make .deb's from proprietory binaries? I did ask the XIG people
> if they would consider supporting .deb's, but it's lower on their list than
> .rpm's.

I wouldn't recomend purging the Debian X packages, just ionstall the
Accelerated-X somewhere else (not over the debian packages), and have
the /etc/X11 file that let you choose the X server point ot it, it
should work ok.

BTW, is the Accelerated X server available for evaluation or something
such, or is it needed to pay for it ?

> With my recent redundancy, I could probably afford the time to figure it out
> and do it, but I'd need some pointers on where to start? Especially since at
> hte moment I"ve only got the .rpm's to work with. Alien was good enough to
> get started, but I'd feel better with proper .deb's once I buy the licence
> and commit the Accelerated-X.
>
> I realise most of the info I need is probably allready on my system
> somewhere, I just need to figure out what I need to know about X, and how
> Debian installs it.
>
> Any pointers to FM's that I can RT would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure
> there are other Debian users that need the 3D acceleration provided only by
> XIG. I would prefer GPL, but 3D acceleration seems unatainable for my card,
> and other Workstation cards so XIG, for me is a necissary evil.

Well, no, it is only a little work, most of it is already there, i guess
you could even do it yourself if you had access to the docs, but i have
to finish my phd thesis by september, and thus no time to play with this
kind of thing. Maybe after that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther