Re: How do I put X on hold?

On Sat 18 May 2002 22:23, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 23:07, John Gay wrote:
> > I've got a GVX1 video card, which is only supported by xfree86>4.2.0 so I
> > had the sources for 4.2.0 on a CD, so a little reading of Makefiles and
> > such I figured out how to make World, back-up the now useless x config
> > stuff and installed 4.2.0 from source. Now I can use my GVX1 card but I'm
> > afraid to dist-upgrade incase apt replaces all my carefully installed and
> > configured 4.2.0 with Brandens 4.1.0 .deb's.
>
> Well, overwriting the installed system with a self-built XFree86 wasn't
> a good idea in the first place. Unofficial 4.2 debs have been posted to
> this list, or if you want to build yourself, that can be done without
> interfering with the packaging system.

I understand that building and installing XFree86 from source over the
previous system was not ideal, but since it was March, there were no hints of
.deb's, in fact the 4.2.0 sources were rather new. According to the XFree86
FAQ's installing a new X over an existing X was not only O.K., but should be
rather painless. I realise that Debian does things differently, but X seemed
similar enough.

I got the results I wanted, I.E. working X for my GVX1 card. Not an ideal
situation. With the lack of proper 3D support, it looks like I'll still need
to resort to using Accelerated-X for 3D acceleration. That option leaves me
in a similar situation. I need to put the Debian X packages, and related libs
on hold to maintain proper X support.

Would I be better off purging the Debian X packages? And if so, how do I
solve the conflict of not having X installed, but having KDE and X
applications? I suppose with enough reading, I could probably build custom
.deb's from the XFree86 sources, but how about the Accelerated-X stuff? Is it
possible to make .deb's from proprietory binaries? I did ask the XIG people
if they would consider supporting .deb's, but it's lower on their list than
.rpm's.

With my recent redundancy, I could probably afford the time to figure it out
and do it, but I'd need some pointers on where to start? Especially since at
hte moment I"ve only got the .rpm's to work with. Alien was good enough to
get started, but I'd feel better with proper .deb's once I buy the licence
and commit the Accelerated-X.

I realise most of the info I need is probably allready on my system
somewhere, I just need to figure out what I need to know about X, and how
Debian installs it.

Any pointers to FM's that I can RT would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure
there are other Debian users that need the 3D acceleration provided only by
XIG. I would prefer GPL, but 3D acceleration seems unatainable for my card,
and other Workstation cards so XIG, for me is a necissary evil.

Thanks for your support!

	John Gay