Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 01:01:48AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Actually, hmm. Did you also manage to get xutils to build? The X4 versions
> of the fonts seem to depend on that package.
Yes, I have and it works with the fonts, when I also install xserver-common...
But startx does not work anymore then:
startx

/etc/X11/X is not executable

/etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
The latter does not exist...

I can start XF68_FBDev by hand, but then I have to move the XF86Config file
by hand to the new location. And if I do this:
root@aahz:/etc/X11>ln -s /usr/bin/X11/XF68_FBDev  X
startx (and xdm) work again. Not very nice for the user, but feasible.
So only the old xserver-fbdev has to stay. I'll try to upload xserver-common
as well (the upload queue in Erlangen is not running, the packages are stuck
there). And maybe start writing the new m68k FAQ...

> xlib6 (the libc5 version of xlib6g) is apparently now a part of xfree86v3;
I have it installed for no specific reason, I don't think there are any m68k
programs acutally using this (the commercial market for linux-m68k is very
small I think).

Christian