Re: dm management of wm listings (kdm/gdm/etc..)

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 05:20:55PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Since every window manager / session manager is already registered with
> > the alternatives system, I see no reason why the other display managers
> > can't do what wdm already does.  It includes a script, update_wdm_wmlist
> > which essentially just greps the output of 'update-alternatives
> > --display x-window-manager' and 'update-alternatives --display
> > x-session-manager' and populates its menu based on that.
>
> Does this handle window managers which are installed after wdm, and if yes
> how?

It does.  /etc/init.d/wdm checks for 'auto-update-wmlist' in
/etc/X11/wdm/wdm.options.  If found, it runs the script to update the
menu entry (found in /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config).

It does the same thing in /etc/X11/wdm/Xreset, so when an X session
ends, the menu is updated with any changes before wdm comes up again.

noah