Re: dm management of wm listings (kdm/gdm/etc..)

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:11:19AM -0600, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
>   Problem:  Desktop Managers like kdm and gdm support Window Manager listings
>             so that users can choose what they want to login in using.  There
>             currently is no common way for wm's to register themselves with
>             each/any/all dm's that may be installed on the system.

Since every window manager / session manager is already registered with
the alternatives system, I see no reason why the other display managers
can't do what wdm already does.  It includes a script, update_wdm_wmlist
which essentially just greps the output of 'update-alternatives
--display x-window-manager' and 'update-alternatives --display
x-session-manager' and populates its menu based on that.

Since all window managers and desktop environments are already
registered with the alternatives system, I don't see any reason to
complicate things any further.

noah -- wdm maintainer