dm management of wm listings (kdm/gdm/etc..)

Hi,

    Branden and I discussed the issue of dm's that have wm lists to choose
from several months ago.  At that time he thought that maybe the update-menu
type of approach would be a good way to solve this.  I'd like to restate what
my understanding of the problem and current suggested solution and see what
people think.  (and then find out where we go next from here)

  Problem:  Desktop Managers like kdm and gdm support Window Manager listings
            so that users can choose what they want to login in using.  There
            currently is no common way for wm's to register themselves with
            each/any/all dm's that may be installed on the system.

  Solution?: create a program (update-dm?) that would pull the current list
             of window/session-managers installed on the system and build the
             appropriate config files for whichever dm's are currently
             installed.  Use the update-menu's approach to things where each
             dm would supply a method file from which the update-dm program
             would know how to properly build it's config file.

I think that this method would probably reduce the amount of possible
duplication as long as the update-dm script pulled it's wm listing from
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-window-manager for example.  That way the only
change any wm would have to do is add a call to update-dm in it's postinst.
All dm's that would use this feature would then create a custom file and
install it into /etc/X11/dm (for example) and run update-dm in it's postinst
as well.

comments?

Ivan
--