dpms on Dell Inspiron 4000

I'm having trouble getting dpms working on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with
an ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF using Adrian Bunk's xserver-xfree86
4.0.2-7 compiled for potato.  I have tried it with acpi compiled in
the kernel, and with acpi disabled and apm compiled as a module which
is loaded on boot.  I have also tried it with the BIOS display
blanking enabled and disabled.  In all cases, it doesn't work.

Here is what the log file says:

(WW) R128(0): Option "DPMS" is not used

xset q says:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Display is not capable of DPMS

And in my XF86Config-4 file I have

  Option "DPMS"

in both the Device section and the Monitor section.

The extmod module is loaded fine (I think this handles dpms, but might
be wrong).

Any suggestions for what else to try?  Any other information I
should provide?

Thanks,

Dan

--