Re: 4.0.1-11 breaks text and images on SiS 86C326

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 05:54:22PM -0800, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> > Very interestingly, I experience a similar problem under the 4.0.1 X
> > server with the game X Scavenger (xscavenger). When Scavenger first starts
> > up, the outer borders of the window are leftover bits of comics that I've
> > been looking at. When I start the game, though, the screen is cleared and
> > everything goes to normal.
>
> This is a bit different than my problem:
> 	ALL my applications fail at ALL points.  (OK, actually I guess the
> applications that fail are: icewm, GNOME, gdm, and gnome-terminal).  For
> some reason, the arrow on the menus in icewm still work, though no text
> is shown.

Weird. I just upgraded to -11 and when xdm starts, the login widget shows
up as a blank box. Even weirder, switching to a text console and back
suddenly brings the text back! (Except that it cleared the background to
white in the process) Everything seems to work OK now, but earlier on, on
my first attempt to restart X, the X server crashed after I logged in.

> 	YOUR problem may be that you have not added the line
> 	"VideoRAM 4096"
> to you card specification?  If X tries to use all 8 megs, then screen
> redraws become somewhat untrustworthy.  X 3.3.x automagically only used
> 4M on 8M cards, but on 4.0.1 you have to do this manually it seems.

No, my XF86Config-4 explicitly states "VideoRam 4096", and I'm still
getting the same problem with Scavenger. In fact, it still does the same
thing right now, after that text-console-switching weirdness I just
described. So, although your problem probably isn't caused by gdm, I
suspect Scavenger has a bug (or perhaps library incompatibility?)

[snip]
> This IS the same card I think:  I got the model number from /proc/pci, I
> think it is also called a 6326.

OK, I thought so... the numbers look too similar to be a coincidence
anyway :-)

> 	So, in summary, this is NOT a bug against gdm, but a bug in the
> xserver.
[snip]

Hmm. Might it have anything to do with what I described? Sounds like we're
experiencing the same problem. Try switching to a text VC and back, and
see if that helps. It worked for me (tm), YMMV.

Winners never quit, quitters never win. But those who never quit AND never
win are idiots.