Re: 4.0.1-11 breaks text and images on SiS 86C326

> Very interestingly, I experience a similar problem under the 4.0.1 X
> server with the game X Scavenger (xscavenger). When Scavenger first starts
> up, the outer borders of the window are leftover bits of comics that I've
> been looking at. When I start the game, though, the screen is cleared and
> everything goes to normal.

This is a bit different than my problem:
	ALL my applications fail at ALL points.  (OK, actually I guess the
applications that fail are: icewm, GNOME, gdm, and gnome-terminal).  For
some reason, the arrow on the menus in icewm still work, though no text
is shown.
	YOUR problem may be that you have not added the line
	"VideoRAM 4096"
to you card specification?  If X tries to use all 8 megs, then screen
redraws become somewhat untrustworthy.  X 3.3.x automagically only used
4M on 8M cards, but on 4.0.1 you have to do this manually it seems.

> I also use a SiS chipset, but it's the 6326 not the 86C326 (or are they
> the same thing?). I'm not sure if this problem is chipset-specific, but I
> don't know for sure.

This IS the same card I think:  I got the model number from /proc/pci, I
think it is also called a 6326.

	So, in summary, this is NOT a bug against gdm, but a bug in the
xserver.

-BenRI