Re: XFree86 -configure and bad mouse problem

> Buddha Buck wrote:
>
> > At some point in the past, my /dev/mouse got to be a link to a named
> > pipe created by gpm (I think it was "gpmdata", but I could be wrong.
> >
> > I don't use gpm, so there was noting to listen to on that pipe.
> >
> > When I ran "XFree86 -configure", it switched my monitor to a graphics
> > mode, and hung forever (at least 8 hours).  After several attempts to
>
> You could have switched to another console by pressing ctrl-alt-f1/f2
> and stoped the X server. ctrl-alt-backspace could have been your friend,
> too.

Yup, I could have, if those had worked.  ctrl-alt-delete didn't work
either.  The only thing that worked was a) telnetting in from another
machine and killing the process, or b) pressing the reset button.  Oh,
yeah, pressing caps-lock and num-lock made the lights on my keyboard
turn on and off, but while that is "normal", it isn't especially useful.

>  > [...]
>
> > Now I'm simply having trouble logging in with XDM...
>
> Probably You are - as me - missing the "sessreg" binary.
> As long as no one here is willing :-) to reveal which packet that
>
> beast belongs to, try disabling the use of sessreg by
> uncommenting out the "use-sessreg" line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options.

Taken care of... XDM is working much better now.

--
     Buddha Buck                             bmbuck@14850.com
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our