Re: XFree86 -configure and bad mouse problem

Buddha Buck wrote:

At some point in the past, my /dev/mouse got to be a link to a named pipe created by gpm (I think it was "gpmdata", but I could be wrong.

I don't use gpm, so there was noting to listen to on that pipe.

When I ran "XFree86 -configure", it switched my monitor to a graphics mode, and hung forever (at least 8 hours). After several attempts to

You could have switched to another console by pressing ctrl-alt-f1/f2
and stoped the X server. ctrl-alt-backspace could have been your friend,
too.

> [...]

Now I'm simply having trouble logging in with XDM...

Probably You are - as me - missing the "sessreg" binary.
As long as no one here is willing :-) to reveal which packet that

beast belongs to, try disabling the use of sessreg by
uncommenting out the "use-sessreg" line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options.

Boris