XFree86 -configure and bad mouse problem

At some point in the past, my /dev/mouse got to be a link to a named
pipe created by gpm (I think it was "gpmdata", but I could be wrong.

I don't use gpm, so there was noting to listen to on that pipe.

When I ran "XFree86 -configure", it switched my monitor to a graphics
mode, and hung forever (at least 8 hours).  After several attempts to
fix the problem, and several system resets (and the accompanying
fscks), I was able to log in remotely and terminate the XFree86
process.  The error message it returned indicated that no mouse was
found (which lead me to discover the /dev/mouse problem).

While XFree86 was trying to identify my "mouse" with no timeout or
other way of stopping it, my system console was completely unusable and
for extended periods of time.  I'd consider that a "bug", even if it
was caused by a misconfiguration on my end.

Once the mouse issue was resolved, XFree86 -configure worked well.

Now I'm simply having trouble logging in with XDM...
--
     Buddha Buck                             bmbuck@14850.com
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our