X ate my console + some other glitches

  Hi all,

  Encouraged by the transition from phase1 to phase2, I decided to
switch to Xfree86 4.0.1.  Okay, so I twitched my sources.list file,
and here goes.

  My hardware is this: video card is a Riva TNT2 with 32 Mb RAM,
monitor is a Dell P991 (19", good stuff), PS/2 mouse, French 105-key
keyboard.

  Now there is one little problem: suppose I freshly booted.  Now
suppose I want to launch X.  I type 'startx', but that command
apparently tries to launch the previous version of X (3.3.6).
Strange, the startx script isn't owned by any package...  Should that
be considered to be a problem?

  Other problem (bigger): once I find that I have to run XFree86, do
some stuff (mainly work :-), then I quit.  Supposedly I should find my
good ole console again, huh?  Well, I do, but the screen keeps black.
I can use the console if I know what to type ('su -', 'root-pwd',
'reboot' for instance), but the screen keeps black.  Until after the
reboot, that is.  I can restart X and it works OK, but from then until
the reboot, text-mode is off.  Or maybe it's black on black, dunno,
anyway it's unusable for everyday life.

  Okay, so I installed gdm, but I'd rather like to get rid of it.  I
want to be able to log on from the console.

  Other problem: when I'm not root, I get permission denied errors
when trying to launch X, e.g

/---
| Fatal server error:
| Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.1.log"
\---

  I guess some program or other isn't setuid or something like that.

  All this with 0phase2v3.

  Otherwise, everything works.  Great job.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
  -- in the tunefs manual page.