Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

>> Sven LUTHER <luther@debian.org> writes:

 > > The XF86Config file is not a conffile.  Read the XF86Config 4.x manpage,
 > > and you'll see there is no conflict.

 > Well if i install the 3.3.6 X server, it will read its configuration
 > file from /etc/X11/XF86Config, and the 4.0.1 X server will read his
 > from the exact same location. And The XF86Config format is _NOT_ the
 > same for both versions. Thus you run into problems if you want ot
 > have XF4.0.1 and XF3.3.6 installed in the same time.

 Please DO read the manpage.  There is NO conflict (it will become clear
 IFF you read the manpage).  Last weekend I was testing a rather bad
 scenario (all sorts of mixing of clients, servers and libraries) and as
 far as I could see, everything works -- except, of course, stuff using
 features only found in XFree86 4.0.

 > Ok, but you will be packaging the X server + the X libraries + all
 > the standard X apps that come with it (well twm, xterm and such). I
 > see i need to be much more precise with my postings to you, so
 > therfor i will name this whole stuff the "X stuff", so there is no
 > confusion.

 ROTFL! (It was a joke, wasn't it?)

 > Now imagine i have the 3.3.6 server installed (which don't know about
 > the new location of the app-default stuff you spoke about in your
 > mail)

 Read chapters 2 and 10 (IIRC) of the documentation shipped with XFree86
 4.0.  app-defaults are not server side.

                                    Marcelo