Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

I just upgraded to XF 4.0.1 via the tarballs. I found out that X is more
unstable than XF 4.0.0.  The s3virge server just locks up my system faster
than 4.0.0 did. I tried disabling gpm, all font servers to no avail.

The only stability I've gotten from XFree86 (3.x and 4.0.x in general) is
by using fbdev with VESA FB. While this is very stable for me, it's
non-accelerated. This does hamper some things; I can't play some games
like Q3A and Unreal Tournament (Not that really matters ;-)

It seems that my box locks up mostly when xterm scrolls up or other
changes content (scrolling  and clearing window seem to be the
culprits). I also had my box lock up when my screen changes content
(e.g. moving windows or when other windows' content change).

I am using a S3 Virge/GX2 with 4 MB VRAM (Diamond Stealth 3D 4000). This
is an AGP card. I don't think it's a AGPx2.  I tried adjusting the
aparture size in my bios. I tried using from 0 upto 32Mb to no avail. It
seems that 16Mb is perhaps the most stable.

I also tried disabling all ROM shadowing in my bios. That seems to help
some. I am still shadowing my video bios. I don't know if that affects it.
I could also try disabling IRQ10 (making the video card not using IRQ's).

BTW, I'm using a Tyan AT-100 bios dated 23 September 1999. I have 32Mb
ram, K6-2/350. I am currently using 2.4.0-test4. I am at woody. I know i'm
using at least libc 2.1.2 or so.

If anyone would have any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

**  Derek J Witt                                              **
*   Email: mailto:djw@flinthills.com                           *
*   Home Page: http://www.flinthills.com/~djw/                 *
*** "...and on the eighth day, God met Bill Gates." - Unknown **