Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:50:49AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:27:55AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Ok, about the X server, but will we maintain two sets of libraries also, or go
> > with the 4.0.1 ones ?
>
> Just the 4.0.1 ones.
>
> > Also how did you solve the XF86Config conflict ? since 4.x a,d 3.x XF86Config
> > files are not compatible.
>
> The XF86Config file is not a conffile.  Read the XF86Config 4.x manpage,
> and you'll see there is no conflict.

Well if i install the 3.3.6 X server, it will read its configuration file from
/etc/X11/XF86Config, and the 4.0.1 X server will read his from the exact same
location. And The XF86Config format is _NOT_ the same for both versions. Thus
you run into problems if you want ot have XF4.0.1 and XF3.3.6 installed in the
same time.

... huh, forgot, you don't plan to allow this kind of things, isn't it ?

> > Sure, ... bad wording perhaps, but i did think more about changing app-default
> > location and other similar stuff, since in the long run, the apps should
> > install it in the new location, you will have to fix the 3.3.6 server to use
> > the new location,
>
> Uh.  Remember, the X Window System is network-transparent.  The X server
> itself does not read or deal with app-defaults files in any way.

Ok, but you will be packaging the X server + the X libraries + all the
standard X apps that come with it (well twm, xterm and such). I see i need to
be much more precise with my postings to you, so therfor i will name this
whole stuff the "X stuff", so there is no confusion.

> What exactly do you do as a developer for XFree86, again?  You seem to have
> difficulty with a few really fundamental concepts of its operation.

I do driver work, no need to be very much aware of lot of stuff which you have
a much better grasp of, just hardware docs and other such things. And i don't
do it since a very long time (Well i am developper since 1 and half year only,
but didn't work on X all the time since then (well i burnt the graphic card i
wanted to do driver work for and it took a long time in being replaced)

That said, we are speaking about X apps, well at least some of them are
maintained by you (x11/xterm and co). Or do you plan to keep the symlink magic
in place forever ?

Now imagine i have the 3.3.6 server installed (which don't know about the new
location of the app-default stuff you spoke about in your mail) and install
apps that where compiled for the new 4.0.1 scheme of things. What will happen
if your 4.0.1 xterm installs its app-default files in the /etc location and
while the 3.3.6 xfree86-common didn't create the symlink ?

> > that is the 3.3.6 xfree-common should do the same trick as
> > the 4.0.1 one ?
>
> That is not necessary.

But then maybe i am being stupid, the app-default is only ever used by the app
that installed it (in this case xterm ?). So i guess there are no conflicts,

> > I thought 4.0.1 moved to X11R6.4, did only 1 library change version number
> > when going from X11R6.3 to X11R6.4 ?
>
> Looks that way.
>
> > I confirm, i run most X clients on a hand installed 4.0.1+ server, without
> > major problems. Like said the only problems encountered where with the xterm
> > color stuff when i didn't do a full XF4 install and some keymap problems (well
> > surely because default 4.x XF86Config came with a japanese keyboard
> > configuration, and i didn't spot it :((()
>
> Well, there are lots of possible ways things can go wrong.  What you
> describe doesn't sound like a server problem to me.

No, but it is an "X stuff" problem, ...

> > where can i get your brand new XF4 packages ? i would like to download them
> > tommorow, build and try them out in my offline home box, and then report back
> > to you about it.
>
> Well, before you do that, please read /usr/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz and
> get your head around the differences between the X server, X clients, and X
> libraries; your mails are not telling me you have them quite figured out,
> and I need testers who can do better than say "it's broken", but who can
> make a reasonable guess as to why.  To do that, you have to understand a
> little bit about how X works.

How come on, don't threat me as stupid, just because i was a bit unprecise in
my mail, i understand perfectly well the difference between the server, the
client and the libraries.  And i have been running XF4 since a long time
already (well since before it was called 3.9.x). I can tell you what has gone
bad in any terms you will need. But then if you are not interrested, just do
the work yourself, i will wait for the packages to be released, but then don't
complain you have no time to do the work, if you don't accept help from people

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER