Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:57:10PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> I remember running XF4 on top of amifb way back in the 3.9.16 days, i suppose
> this will work nicely on m68k also, if you can build the kernel.
amifb is not the only fb available for m68k. It might work for me, but I can
not see it, since my ami mon has gone bust. Will you donate me an old mon,
or better a flickerfixer so I can test that?
AFAIK amifb is the _only_ fb for m68k which is working in X4.0, or maybe
there is one more. Youre the xfree developer, not me. Ill try to improve the
kernel driver for my virge, but I will not work on xfree drivers in the
foreseable future.

> > Fine, but what if the 4.0 libraries can not be built on m68k (I would not
> > wonder if), will the 3.3.6 libaries be still around for us?
>
> Did you try it ?
Are source packages available?
That was not my question, I do not intend to build anything now, I was just
asking a technical question. Again: will xfree 3.3.6 and 4.0 be able to
exist simultaneously in the archive? X4.0 would need to have a new package
name then I think. This is the plan, right? I only want a confirmation for
that... if not, we might declare the m68k port dead for woody.

> How long do you think i would need to build XF4 on a 25MHz 68040 ?
No idea, are source packages available? Oh, I said that before, all I can
say is, xfree 3.3.6 takes about 24h on 060@50, 4.0 will be about half the
time, since IIRC libc5 packages will be dropped. No idea what else wil be
built to make it use more time...

> mach64 should be supported under XF4, or will soonely, i think, anyway, you
> could always run the fbdev Xserver without accels.
I could also run in VGA mode or buy a new graphics card. But again, that was
not my question...

Christian