Re: [Delayed] Summary of the web team BoF at DC18

Hi Laura,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 06:17:48PM +0200, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> Hi Wouter
>
> El 26 de septiembre de 2018 17:59:58 CEST, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> escribió:
> >On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 11:51:32AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >> I've filed !30 to merge it in.
> >
> >... and have received absolutely zero responses. Either that means
> >people don't understand how things work, or I'm missing the ball by so
> >much it would take a lot of effort to reply and nobody has had the
> >courage yet to do so.
> >
> >Which is it?
>
> Sorry, I wanted to fork your repo and try myself (with some non-trivial
> commits build-wise, like the ones that trigger build of many pages (e.g.
> change in footer, release number, or .po templates)

Unfortunately, those will probably overrun the default maximum of one
hour per CI job and therefore time out. It is possible to change the
default maximum, but salsa allows no more than two hours; beyond that
the gitlab-runner administrators have to change the configuration. So
that means that the current merge request will only work for things that
are limited to a handful of languages.

I have been working on improving the setup to split out a full build
into multiple jobs -- see
https://salsa.debian.org/wouter/webwml/pipelines/19296 for an example.
Since the timeout is per job and not per pipeline, that would work
around this problem. However, it doesn't seem to be working properly
yet; the "make install" step seems to be calling "wml" occasionally,
which means things take time, and we don't want that (because it would
make things time out). I'm not exactly sure whether that's my fault or
the build system's.

I do intent to try to make this all work properly if the interest is
there, but even so the current merge request should already be somewhat
helpful.

> to give a proper answer, but ENOTIME.
>
> I should have replied even just to say THANKS!
>
> The end of the weekend looks promising and I hope I can say something
> more by next week, if nobody beats me to it.

Sure.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab