Re: CVS and WWW sprint.

Le Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:39:03PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Le Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:24:03PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs a écrit :
> >
> > Please be adviced to notice #567781 in which
> > Simon wrote a nice set of commands to follow through for the switch, it
> > just requires someone to pick up the job.
> >
> > Are you willing to help along that lines so we can get rid of that
> > obstacle?
>
> I will try to set up a local copy of the Debian website at home this week-end.
> If I am successful, count me in for the Unicode transition.

I read #567781 and thought about the problem a couple of days.

  First, the .pot files are already all pure ASCII, so there is nothing to change
  there as it is a subset of UTF-8.

  There are indeed a couple of pages that have contents reproduced verbatim in
  localised pages for which the encoding may not be UTF-8.

  Many pages contain HTML entities instead of their latin1 equivalent.

  A large number of latin1 characters in the English pages are for proper names
  of people and places, in pages that are not likely to be edited often, like
  news pages.

  Upgrade to UTF-8 should not mark translation as outdated.

Because of this, I propose that I convert the latin1 characters in the english
pages to HTML entities using smart_change.pl. This allows the process to be
split over time and does not disturb translators. If HTML entities are
considered ugly, they could be converted to UTF-8 characters later with the
same approach (keeping aside the pages that have their contents included
elsewhere), after the change of encoding is completed.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,