Re: CVS and WWW sprint.

Le Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:31:02AM -0400, David Prévot a écrit :

> Actually, what is the problem with CVS? Other VCS may offer fancy
> features that are actually useless for the website (use of branches or
> whatever), and, at best of our knowledge, we have no information
> concurring to the idea that it “is turning away contributors”, so
> please, what sort of improvement is expected by moving away from CVS?

It simply does not offer the same comfort as widely used VCSes in Debian, such
as Subversion and Git. It needs network access for CVS diff. It behaves in a
way that is unexpected to somebody that uses more recent VCSes. For instance,
CVS update will not bring new directories. For many package maintainers, CVS is
an extra VCS to learn. And the more I get used to the fancy features of other
VCSes (colored wdiffs with git, for instance), the more I get bored to death
when I force myself to keep our part of the website alive.

None of this is a problem, but it working with CVS is not a pleasure, so at
least for me I tend to postpone work on the Debian website. Of course, I can
not talk for others. Perhaps I could set up a poll to see if people would care
more about the website if it were stored in another VCS ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,