Re: Debian Wiki FlashPlayer page

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:33 -0600, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>> > Installing anything manually is a bad practice.
>> > - One have to reinstall it again and again, especially when new security
>> > updates are published.
>> > - A vulnerable version could remain installed for a while.
>> > - The file isn't managed by apt/dpkg (conflict and dependencies)
>> > - Why do manually waht can be done automacically
>> > - And many other reasons that don't comes to my mind...

>> > Document this procedure on your own website if you want, but not on the
>> > wiki, where we only list recommended practices.
>> >
>> > At the risk of getting you upset, I'll remove that again.
>>
>> How about just add the warning you just mentioned...
>> "
>> >Installing anything manually is a bad practice.
>> > - One have to reinstall it again and again, especially when new security
>> > updates are published.
>> > - A vulnerable version could remain installed for a while.
>> > - The file isn't managed by apt/dpkg (conflict and dependencies)
>> > - Why do manually what can be done automatically
>> "
>
>> Because If you don't want to use backports then that is your only option.
>
> Why wouldn't you install backports?
>
>> My opinion on the plugins is that they are exception to a lot of
>> things.
>
> Why?
>
>> They are not stable and if you don't have most recent flash
>> plugin then your website don't work, and if you website don't work
>> then debian doesn't work.
>
> The maintainer is quite responsive (flash v10 have been in experimental
> for a while).

He might be responsive but the flash is not in stable.

Backports is not an official debian repository so your way or my way
fall in a category of "not official system overwrite". You need to
make sure you know what you doing when using backports and you need to
know what you doing when manually installing.  You can pick one over
another but until one of these becomes official debian repository I
don't see how we can pick. Seems to me that we should let the user
decide since its his system.  Both of these are needed to have working
flash so we can get all opinions for and against but the true of the
fact is you need to do something outside of debian official
distribution .

The 2 packages that have manual install all over them (close but never
the same problem as flashplayer) are vmware, nvidia.  Its never easy
with these nonfree packages is it...

Lucas