Re: Debian Wiki FlashPlayer page

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
>> Lukasz,

>>> repository?

>>> 4.0r3
>>> via

>> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 17:33 -0600, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>>> Did you verify before you deleted the section form manualhowto?
>>> The manual-howto had instruction on how to manually install flash
>>> player to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ vs the "flash=player page does
>>> not.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the changelog, I removed that section because it
>> duplicate the content of the page FlashPlayer.
>> I decided not to merge the content because explaining how to manually
>> install something is just the wrong way to do things: I defeats the
>> purpose of having a distribution.
>> People willing to install or compile stuffs manually should use LFS,
>> Gentoo, Windows or whatever.
>
> I agree that installing things manually is a pain but in this case it
> seems as one of the options.
> First  flash player was in sarge, but didn't work, Then sarge fixed it
> year later
> Second etch came in with flash player, it worked then got removed

The ftpmaster removal log states :
> [Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:46:05 +0000] [ftpmaster: Archive Administrator]
> Removed the following packages from stable:
>
> flashplugin-nonfree | 9.0.115.0.1~etch1 | source, i386
> Closed bugs: 458550
>
> ------------------- Reason -------------------
> RoSRM; security nightmare

You'll find the rationale fot it's removal in:
  http://bugs.debian.org/458550

I don't understand why it was removed either, but anyway the
current recommended way to install Flashplugin is documented by the
maintainer in the page "FlashPlayer"
(basically: use backports.org)

> Third, backports  repository is questionable...
> so the only way to me seems like a manual install is one of the options.

Installing anything manually is a bad practice.
- One have to reinstall it again and again, especially when new security
updates are published.
- A vulnerable version could remain installed for a while.
- The file isn't managed by apt/dpkg (conflict and dependencies)
- Why do manually waht can be done automacically
- And many other reasons that don't comes to my mind...

> Above point doesn't matter now. I've merged the changes to Flash-player
> page.

Document this procedure on your own website if you want, but not on the
wiki, where we only list recommended practices.

At the risk of getting you upset, I'll remove that again.

Franklin