Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 02:15:34PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  What also comes into my mind, the translation-check code would require
> > quite a lot of changes with almost all VCSes especially with respect to
> > checks about by how many commits the file is outdated.  Might be easy
> > with some, but given that I'm not familar too intensive with many VCSes
> > with respect to extracting that specific informations it might get
> > tricky (or not, no idea, just concern raising).
>
> Hmm.  Maybe rebuild the cvs version in the file header manually?
> Or compare absolute check-in dates?  Doh, that'd be complicated
> and slow down building of the website even more.

SVN supports the $Id construct. The way others do this (d-i manul) is to add
the revision information in the header of the translatable files and check
it with a specific header of the translated files.

We could do this to:

a) adapt template/debian/translation-check.wml so that it can check at the
   wml file themselves for a specific header if CVS/Entries does not exist [1]

b) modify *all* of the english wml files to add an $Id header

Code for parsing ID headers is already available at the doc-check script used
by the Debian Installer manual (used to track translations of the XML files).
So a) is not that difficult to implement. b) however, is rather cumbersome.

The other option, parsing .svn/entries of a checkout dir to find the specific
revision of a file looks like it might be difficult to code but wouldn't
require us to do b)

Regards

Javier

[1] Parsing .svn/entries seems quite cumbersome to me.