Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 05:10:27PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 09:05:38AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > > Indeed.  Moreover, the only advantage of svn seems to be that to an
> > > end-user, it looks very similar as cvs.
> >
> > It also supports symbolic links, proper file/directory renaming, etc.
> > All in all, svn is way better than cvs for almost everything.
>
> None of this features is used or needed AFAIK for the WWW repository. Losing
> all the CVS history and having to update all the tools for no real gain seems

The history will *not* be lost! cvs2svn keeps it. But I read about a
little problem with properties which could causes problems with a
Windows client.

PS: Properties are also a usefil feature. We could associate to each
file a property "license" which may contain an arbitrarily string, or
"comment", ...

Also it easier to do a backup of the repository. It should no longer
require admin rights IIRC.

> like a major drawback to me.

OK but let's not forget that SVN keeps a local copy of the checkouted
files which allows diffs without internet connection. Also a commit is
faster as only changes are transfered.

Jens