Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:12:22 -0700, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> said:
>
> > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> If the license is free, we need not be changing it at all, either now
> >> nor in the future.
>
> > We'd have to revisit it in cases where works in the website which we
> > would like to combine are under different, conflicting free licenses.
>
> The website is an aggregation of works. As long as you are just
> publishing such an aggregation, you donot need to combine licences.

Sure, but we're going to be combining works (or at least the works of
different contributors) in the vast majority of cases.

> I don't want, for instance, the BSD license to be attached to my
> works, on a matter of principle, even though it is a free license. I
> don't see why Dewbian wants to force licenses on me in order to get
> my contribution.

We can't force licenses on anyone of course; it's just that some level
of restriction on the class of licenses that can be accepted is
necessary. A contributor who was equally adamant about using the 4
clause BSD would conceivably pose a similar problem.

> As far as I know, there never has been, and nothing is being
> contemplated, which distributes the website apart from mirroing it.

Parts of the website are distributable in print form, and I know bits
of Bugs/ are present in various frontends when describing tags and
severity levels. That said, this is a side issue of finding a good set
of licences; the main is compatibility within the website when you
have multiple contributors who have contributed to the same page who
license their contributions incompatibly.

> I don't think you have made your case that this is note merely a
> desire for control over works by other people.

I personally care not one iota who actually controls the works at the
end of the day, I just want find a resolution that is acceptable to
all or at least the vast majority of contributors which hopefully
avoids having to revisit this issue in the future.

If that's not the case, then as close as I can get to that goal is
going to have to be good enough.

Don Armstrong

--
"I was thinking seven figures," he said, "but I would have taken a
hundred grand. I'm not a greedy person." [All for a moldy bottle of