Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> I am willing to relicense my contributions under the GPL v2; but I
> am not willing to assign my copyright away.

Yeah, this is precisely why I think giving an unrestrictive license to
SPI acting at the direction of Debian should be an option; some people
want to keep their copyrights. [I personally don't care much, so long
as at the end of the day, I can do with my work what I wish.]

> I specifically do not trust the SPI enough to allow them to
> relicense my work in the future.

This sort of relicensing should be done at the direction of Debian; we
could even write up the license assignment so this was required. Plus,
the worst that could happen is the work would become closer to PD; it
wouldn't be capable of going backwards in freedom granted.

Would such a license be acceptable to you?

Don Armstrong

It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is
 -- Andrew Suffield in 20030403211305.GD29698@doc.ic.ac.uk