Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:12:22 -0700, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> said:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> If the license is free, we need not be changing it at all, either now
>> nor in the future.

> We'd have to revisit it in cases where works in the website which we
> would like to combine are under different, conflicting free licenses.

        The website is an aggregation of works. As long as you are just
 publishing such an aggregation, you donot need to combine licences.

>> Indeed, if the initial license is free, there should be nxo reason
>> for Debian to ever change the licensing away from the free license,
>> so it being Hard to do is irrelevant.

> It wouldn't be necessary to change away, but it could become necessary
> to add additional licenses. The more liberal the licences granted, the
> less of a problem this would be.

        Umm, no.  I don't want, for instance, the BSD license to be
 attached to my works, on a matter of principle, even though it is a
 free license. I don't see why Dewbian wants to force licenses on me in
 order to get my contribution.

>> The web site is a collection of aggregated works; so I don't see the
>> need to even have the same free license at all.

> The works are often combined, and many parts of the website have
> multiple different contributors. We have to be able to distribute the
> resulting works, so whatever licensing scheme we come up with has to
> be compatible.

        Why do licenses of merely aggregated works have to be
 compatible?  Heck, we distribute CD's of works from different people,
 and the licenses are not all compatible.  Why is the web site so
 special?

        As far as I know, there never has been, and nothing is being
 contemplated, which distributes the website apart from mirroing it.
 Even then, you can just state the website is an aggregation of works.

        I don't think you have made your case that this is note merely a
 desire for control over works by other people.

        manoj
--
A penny saved kills your career in government.