Re: Inconsistency on translated pages links.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

> >    Having a cookie to store the language choice as soon as the user
> > clicks on the language name or a little flag icon,
>
>  Please read up in the archives (even in the recent threads) about why
> flags for language selection are a _very_ bad idea.

   ACK.

> > and have this cookie override the browser content negociation settings
> > seems extremely reasonable to me.
>
>  Can you try to figure out the required ressources for that approach?
> And overriding is a bad idea like I tried to point out, but it might
> make partly sense with in addition to the browser setting.

   A user action ("let me browse this site in $LANG now") overriding the
settings does not sound like a bad idea to me.

> >    o Not wanting to browse the Debian website in French because I'm not
> >      satisfied with the translations but still wanting to see all other
> >      websites in French?
>
>  Invalid - please don't shut your eyes from the problems but work on
> them.  :P

   Sorry, no. I'd probably accept that if I was the only reader for the
site, but I am not.

> >    o Using a web browser that does not support content negociation
>
>  And what one would that be?  One from this millenium, please.

   I may have missed where it's done, but I cannot get it to work with
Liferea's integrated browser, which means w.d.o links aren't in the same
language when accessed from my RSS feeds and with my other browsers.

Cheers,
Sam.
--
echo "creationism" | tr -d "holy godly goal"