Re: Improvements of the website

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Right. I agree that security anouncements can be removed from the
> top level page. A single link such as "Security related problems are
> described on this page" would be sufficient, maybe also a reference
> to the last DSA instead of the last 10-15 ones.

Security announcements are one of the most important things that
regular viewers to the homepage would want to know about. Indeed, it's
one of the few items on the initial page which regularly changes.[1]

It may be appropriate to indicate the relative popularity of the
packages that there are security anouncements are about in some
fashion, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't care about it.

Others have said it, and I'm going to reiterate it: any changes to the
layout of the design of the website need to serve the needs of
everyone who views the website, from the users who are Debian
Developers and can commit to the website to those who are trying to
find out what this Debian thing is anyway, and everyone in between.

Changes that make the website less useful (or worse, useless) to the
people who are already using it are not going to be palatable.

Don Armstrong

1: Although, there is an argument that most of those people who know
enough to care are already subscribed to -s-a and/or get the
information via cron-apt.
--
For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing
continued to happen.