Re: Statistics of female participation in packing in Debian

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 23:13, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> Finally, I would here probably avoid listing names (you of
> course know that some contributing women prefer avoiding to advertize
> their gender: here again, I have real examples in mind in the l10n
> world).

He has a point. This is not debian-specific but I did want to mention
that for the most part 'women', in general, get attention just by
virtue of their gender and it has some negative repercussions in
itself -- I'll avoid names and just state that women are sometimes
stalked online, have heard rumors that they outsourced their coding
work (which I refused to believe and got trolled for speaking up).
That and more icky stuff happens in local communities (yeah, i'm
looking at certain individuals from my local community indulging in
such behavior) which makes its more sad. Had it not been for the
strong support from many folks I would have left Floss a long time
ago.
Having said that, I do understand that not all women would want to
speak-up and spend time warding off attention that they didnt ask for
in the first place and partly this makes it really tough to retain
women. I've been mulling over this for a long time and yet I dont have
a perfect solution to solve the problem...maybe its just community
action that can help increase diversity.

</thinking out loud>
--
Thanks,
vid || http://svaksha.com