Re: Thinking about organizing a special women-oriented event

2009/8/25 Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla@gmail.com>:
> Il giorno mar, 25/08/2009 alle 16.20 +0200, Ana Guerrero ha scritto:
>> >
>> > So...
>> >
>> > Could Caster Semenya go to the event or not? ;-)
>> >

>> I fail to see who is this funny or on-topic?
>> Keep such "jokes" out of here.
>
> my 2 cents: I agree with Ana. These jokes are hard to understand
> properly on written communication. So I can't get if it is just an
> innocent joke or, as it is so common among men who fear women raise of
> awareness (but can't understand why), a way to reduce importance of what
> women do and think by laughing at them.

It is by no means an innocent joke. I'll explain the context, for
those who are not familiar with it. Caster Semenya [1] is a South
African middle-distance runner who has been recently accused -at least
in Spanish Speaking media [2]- of "being too similar to a man". She
has been harshly and cruelly harassed and laughed at in different
media for having a high level of testosterone [3] (3 times more than
the average woman, 10 times less than the average man), up to a point
where the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)
had to conduct a gender verification test.

That joke, in my opinion, has different levels of evilness at once:
1) It is offtopic, childish and disruptive of the the topic thas was
being discussed ("Hey! I'm here! Pay me attention!"), to a point
where, as Anne says (but probably the writer is not doing consciously)
the whole matter being discussed is reduced in importance
2) It is cruel against a young woman (18 y.o.) who is being severely
attacked about her sexuality for "not being female enough", and who
has feelings that should be respected [4].
3) As Holger says, it takes out of the equation everyone who does not
clearly fit into one of the stereotypical male-female roles
4) It is not funny at all

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_Semenya