Re: Thinking about organizing a special women-oriented event

Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2009/8/25 Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla@gmail.com>:

>>> I fail to see who is this funny or on-topic?
>>> Keep such "jokes" out of here.
>> my 2 cents: I agree with Ana. These jokes are hard to understand
>> properly on written communication. So I can't get if it is just an
>> innocent joke or, as it is so common among men who fear women raise of
>> awareness (but can't understand why), a way to reduce importance of what
>> women do and think by laughing at them.
>
> It is by no means an innocent joke. I'll explain the context, for
> those who are not familiar with it. Caster Semenya [1] is a South
> African middle-distance runner who has been recently accused -at least
> in Spanish Speaking media [2]- of "being too similar to a man". She
> has been harshly and cruelly harassed and laughed at in different
> media for having a high level of testosterone [3] (3 times more than
> the average woman, 10 times less than the average man), up to a point
> where the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)
> had to conduct a gender verification test.
>
> That joke, in my opinion, has different levels of evilness at once:
> 1) It is offtopic, childish and disruptive of the the topic thas was
> being discussed ("Hey! I'm here! Pay me attention!"), to a point
> where, as Anne says (but probably the writer is not doing consciously)
> the whole matter being discussed is reduced in importance
> 2) It is cruel against a young woman (18 y.o.) who is being severely
> attacked about her sexuality for "not being female enough", and who
> has feelings that should be respected [4].
> 3) As Holger says, it takes out of the equation everyone who does not
> clearly fit into one of the stereotypical male-female roles
> 4) It is not funny at all
>
> Greetings,
> Miry
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_Semenya
> [2] http://www.dosmanzanas.com/2009/08/borchornoso-tratamiento-de-algunos-medios-al-caso-de-caster-semenya-la-atleta-sudafricana-cuya-feminidad-se-ha-puesto-en-duda.html
> [3] http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/revelations-ahead-gender-test-results-2942837
> [4] http://blogs.20minutos.es/salud_y_deporte/post/2009/08/23/aay-quao-pasa-con-sentimientos-caster-semenya-

i agree with Miriam

is not a joke !
maybe he thought that it was only a stupid joke but it wasn't
it's sexism and a really bad one, against a young middle-distance runner and
also against all women

i think the idea of organizing a special women oriented event is really good
also to meet other women involved in the debian project and to show that
in the debian community there aren't only man

begin:vcard
fn:alice ferrazzi
n:ferrazzi;alice
email;internet:aliceinwire@gnumerica.org
note;quoted-printable:Key fingerprint =3D 660B 821F A4E1 EA91 9F22  33DA 223A 9E8D A5FD 3B70=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard