Re: Debian's Freenode IRC channels

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 12:03:23PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Melissa Draper (melissa@meldraweb.com):

> > One must be a developer or packager to be entitled to feel comfortable?

> I'm not entirely convinced that projects such as d-w or ubunto-w can
> really change things in very wide communities. As many already said,
> we probably have to accept that the jerk ratio in user communities
> will never be close to zero (in that matter, I very seriously doubt
> that things are better or worse in Ubuntu users communities compared
> to Debian users).

This is probably especially true of Debian where pretty much everything
is done in a very loose, ad hoc fashion.  There is very little pressure
to officially affiliate with Debian or do any particular kind of
organisation so you end up with lots of overlapping groups with
differing levels of awareness of each other and often with differing
ideas about how things should be done.