Re: [OT] About Computer Careers

On 7/10/07, Nacho Barrientos Arias <nacho@debian.org> wrote:

> Basically, I feel that there's a vacuum of career options for people
> who already know all the "introduction" parts, and wish to delve more
> deeply into the development of low-level code (kernel, X, libs, etc).

Note that not everybody starts their degree with enough experience to
just skip the introduction parts in the courses. In addition, I guess
that making different plans for advanced and non-advanced students is
a fact that is not interesting for the people who rule the plans.

Yes, I have the same feeling. But why?  Starting up from what someone
already knows, instead of from the bare basics would allow them to
learn much more in the same amount of time.  Is it that universities
do not want students to become experts? Do they do this so that they
can afterwards charge you more for the post-graduate courses?

IMHO, degrees shouldn't be focused in specific topics such as kernel
development because it could end up in a problem, everyone would like
be specialized in something and it is impossible to build personalized
plans for each one.

Well, they are currently very much focused in end-user apps, and that
ends up in a problem because everyone is specialized in that. I think
that the IT field has expanded enough to justify more than just
"Programmer" or "Computer Science" degrees.

With regard to your first paragraph, Why Java and not X development?
In short and sadly, learning Java opens you more doors that X
development does ;)

Yes, but I think it's a vicious cycle.

On browsing through the web, looking at Universities around the world
I found that the UCSC (University of California, Santa Cruz), offers a
"Certificate Program in Linux/UNIX Administration and Programming":

http://www.ucsc-extension.edu/ucsc/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=184

Which looks similar to what I was wishing to find, although it's just
a "Certificate" and not a full degree.

--
Besos,
Marga