Re: [OT] About Computer Careers

On 7/10/07, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 01:58:49PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> I've been analizing the different career options related to Computers
> available in Argentina, [...]
Do you mean career development (ie, courses that might or might not
help you get a new job later), or careers (ie, actual jobs that involve
interesting technology)?

Yes, of course, I meant degrees/career development.  Sorry for the Spanglish.

Going to conferences is one good way to delve more deeply into code, eg

Yes, but conferences are very short, so the scope is always limited to
a specific task, and also do not get you a degree.

The real problem with in depth courses is that there generally aren't
that many people interested in any particular area, so rather than
hundreds of people each year signing up to an introductory university
course in any given city, you're down to a few dozen people every few
years across an entire country, and you also have more problems finding
people to teach the course who understand the details, can teach well,
and aren't busy actually doing development.

Yes, I know.  But I also have a feeling that there is no interest in
giving any low-level software development courses, because of "the
market".

Here in Argentina, almost everybody that finishes a computer degree
(be it a 3-year course or a 5 or 6-year course) ends up working in
doing Java or .NET apps, for local companies.  No serious software.
Just simple apps.

Thus, most universities and institutes teach that, because "that's
what the market wants".  I have the feeling that by doing that, they
are actually preventing our market from growing into something more
serious.

It makes me very sad, because I feel that a lot of boys and girls have
a lot of potential, when they start Uni, but then end up going "the
market way", because that's what they are taught during the years they
study.

--
Besos,
Marga