Re: [OT] About Computer Careers

* Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> [2007:07:11 15:32 -0300]:
> On 7/10/07, Nacho Barrientos Arias <nacho@debian.org> wrote:
> >IMHO, degrees shouldn't be focused in specific topics such as kernel
> >development because it could end up in a problem, everyone would like
> >be specialized in something and it is impossible to build personalized
> >plans for each one.
>
> Well, they are currently very much focused in end-user apps, and that
> ends up in a problem because everyone is specialized in that. I think
> that the IT field has expanded enough to justify more than just
> "Programmer" or "Computer Science" degrees.

I know where you're coming from, but the benefit of not having degrees
centered around things like that is that, professionally, you don't need
a degree in "Kernel Engineering" to get a job as a kernel hacker. As far
as I can tell, you just need to have worked on the kernel enough that
your name is easy to recognize. I think if degrees like that existed,
it'd end up very similarly to a lot of "commercialized" programming
industries (i.e. the .NET and Java stuff) in the sense that you'd find
more people doing it for money rather than because they're truly
passionate about it.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide