Re: [OT] About Computer Careers

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 01:58:49PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> I've been analizing the different career options related to Computers
> available in Argentina, [...]

Do you mean career development (ie, courses that might or might not
help you get a new job later), or careers (ie, actual jobs that involve
interesting technology)?

> Basically, I feel that there's a vacuum of career options for people
> who already know all the "introduction" parts, and wish to delve more
> deeply into the development of low-level code (kernel, X, libs, etc).

Going to conferences is one good way to delve more deeply into code, eg

	http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2007/talk/107.html
	http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2006/abstract0906.html?id=459
	http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2006/abstractd919.html?id=342
	http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2006/abstract8204.html?id=382

The real problem with in depth courses is that there generally aren't
that many people interested in any particular area, so rather than
hundreds of people each year signing up to an introductory university
course in any given city, you're down to a few dozen people every few
years across an entire country, and you also have more problems finding
people to teach the course who understand the details, can teach well,
and aren't busy actually doing development.

Cheers,
aj