Re: IT screen goddesses

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:04:28 +0200, Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:28:50AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

In order to balance this objectification, I'd suggest to simultaneously
release a nice Debian male calendar.... Actually, such calendars with
"ordinay" men (aka not models) became fairly common here (here==France
and, I guess, now most parts of Europe).

Actually, this idea has some merits. What about doing a Debconf calendar
with geek men /and/ women just... well... all getting along.

 I chime in with the photographer's point of view again:

Group pictures are harder to get right.  Even small groups.
Photographing people "getting along" will typically end up in
the snapshot genre; not the kind of slick imagery you would
like to put in a calendar.

I, for one, want to look good on any picture that is likely to
get some real attention.  The more visible I am, the more it
matters.  It is not just a matter of vanity.  It would sadden me
if I felt like a smudge on some organisation's public image.

The authentic mixed-gender group photograph would be one of a
large group of geeks with ONE female somewhere in the group.
That would be honest.  But the craft of photographic flattery
is not about absolute honesty.

What would we like to emphasise?  Does it look good on a poster?
If not, what else would we like to emphasise?  Repeat.

--
Herman Robak