Re: Localizing main site?

Thanks very much for your reply, Meike. :)

On 17/06/2005, at 7:11 PM, Meike Reichle wrote:

Clytie Siddall wrote:

If it's available for Mac OSX (BSD base), and not complex to install,
 I'll have a go [...]

There seem to be ways to get that to work [1] but I am not sure on how
easy it is.

Thanks for the link. It does look pretty complex for me now (the sort of thing I would have enjoyed very much before becoming ill), and they don't seem to have any notes for Mac OSX 10.4, which is a major update.

<snip general translation discussion>

Anyway, to get a solution for the moment I think I could do the
uploading for you, Clytie.

Yay! Thankyou very much! (I really must read the whole list before replying, but then I lose track of what I'm doing. Sorry about that.)

I've been planning to get more involved with
Debian after this semester (read: after my exams)

Good luck with your exams. :) I always loved exams, but I gathered that wasn't the majority sentiment. ;)

so I'll have to get to
terms with baz et all at some point anyway. I already did work with it
in so far as that I can add some news and stuff to w.a.d.o (I should do that more often, I know ....) So, if anybody could give me a quick overview on the technologies in use (I am actually not too much of a web person, basic PHP is as far as I usually go), the website's structure and whatever else I have to know I'd be happy to help.
Clytie: I really appreciate your work and I'd hate to see you
drop out or get frustrated because of some stupid technical barrier. So,
if that is okay with you I'd be happy to be your "uploader" (though I
may not always work in real time ;-) )

It would be wonderful, Meike: I appreciate that so much. I can't work to time myself, so as long as we can get things done eventually, the time thing doesn't matter. :))

Clytie Siddall further wrote:

It's embarrassing to have to admit the mental loss through illness, but it's probably better than me giving up because I can't do it. I can do the translation, and I do want to help.

DON'T BE!!! Reaching the point where you just don't want to or simply can't keep up with technology's undamped growth anymore certainly is neither something to be embarrassed about nor something that is connected to your current condition. We've now reached a point in time and technical progress where you just *can't* be competent about everything anymore and it's only sensible to make your choices as to which fields you would like to invest your time and energy in and which you want to stay out of. Of course you can't just take a totally passive attitude and demand more and more advanced technologies without having to learn how to use them. However I believe that this is a bidirectional thing. Technologies also shouldn't end in themselves. They are tools for people and sometimes their creators tend to forget that.

... well, I got a bit off topic on this but you hit a point there that I feel rather strongly about, (senseless technologies and some tech people's elitism) so I had to rant on a bit about that. ;-)

It's a very sensible point. We have so-called "computer experts" on all sides (self-bestowed titles, as far as I can see) who think they can award that title to themselves because they can update Windows sometimes. The people who have a lot of experience, and continue to learn, would very rarely claim that title. There's just too much growth and diversity. I was rather pleased recently when my son, currently disseminating Debian in Adelaide in the guise of a computing degree, said to me, "The more I learn, the less I know". I think he's growing up. :)

(I am embarrassed about my situation, and it grieves me horrible to have lost so much of my (especially mental) capacity, but as long as I can be useful in any way, I will keep trying.)

Meike, would it be OK for me simply to grab each page's source, translate the text and send it to you? Or do I need to do something else?

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc