Re: Localizing main site?

On 17/06/2005, at 4:47 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

It doesn't look like baz or tla are part of the Mac OSX base. I tried
both via bash.

Hmmm, handling translating with a tla/baz based system is probably not
the best idea to have, actually.

Whether or not one likes it, these things are *complicated
stuff*. Very nice revision control systems but bloody hard to setup,
which a huge learning curve.

Which is definitely discouraging for people who don't have the time or capacity. I have neither. My time is taken up by the incredible complexity and load of everyday tasks in my situation (breathing, medication, toilet, trying to eat and drink, damage control etc.), and my capacity is shrinking continually. :(

I'm not really sure that this is adapted to translations. Translators
are usually people who found the localisation work to be an
interesting part of software development to contribute, because it
does not require too much technical skills.

This is not arrogance towards translators but just facts. Facts I've
learned from more than 3 years of localisation work in Debian,
actually.

You're quite right. if I were capable of doing more in the Debian project, I'd be doing it. I think many people only have the time or inclination for one type of contribution, and expecting more will just reduce the gain.

So, having an arch-based system as the only way to access and commit
translation work is probably not the best idea to have.

Mm.

This is for instance one of the reasons which explain that I currently
act as a gateway between translators and the dpkg and apt package
maintainers.... I feel that just telling translators to work on their
own archive is probably just throwing half of them through the
window..:-|

Yes. I just about drove the Gnome people mad, trying to learn basic CVS commands. I got there in the end, but for me now, anything like that is a huge and nearly impossible task: I would have given up early on, except my team-leader had asked for my help, and there was nobody else doing it.

So I agree: we will lose people if we expect too much in the way of time or acquiring new skills.

The people who are able and willing to contribute more will do that anyway, and we benefit hugely from them. However, the rest is made up of the bits and pieces the rest of us can manage. Creating a bottle- neck in that section will reduce gain markedly.

For example, I would probably have translated several pages on the main D-W site by now, and handed them on to someone with ftp access. As it is, I've done the main page, and can't do anything with it: it's not being useful.

Does anyone know of an effective way to resolve this situation? I'd appreciate the help, very much.

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc