Re: Pre-RFA : lifelines, geneweb and poedit packages

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:56:02PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Erinn Clark (erinn@double-helix.org):
> >* Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> [2005:06:11 08:18 +0200]:
> >> Last, but not least, a few more (wo)manpower to my maintenance team
> >> for shadow would also help. Bug triage there is a big task and we're
> >> still not done with it yet. This package is already a team effort and
> >> will remain so (and I won't drop my involvment in it) but its
> >> importance justifies a stronger team.
> >
> > I'd also like to note that bug triage, while tediously boring, is very
> > educational and a good start for any n00bs wanting to get a grip on
> > Debian procedures.
>
> My only concern here was not offering a very tedious task to women
> only..:-)

much appreciated... :)

> But of course, I fully agree with you on that topic. Moreover bug
> triage about shadow makes you learn a lot of things about
> authentication, PAM, password handling, user creation and all that
> stuff.

I'd generally be interested in that kind of thing.  I've just briefly
glanced over
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=shadow  and
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=pkg-shadow-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

Is there anything else I might want to have a look at (list archives,
todo lists, etc.) to get a better idea of what needs to be done and the
current status in general?  Also, with the BTS, I'm not always entirely
clear on the status of the bugs, e.g. who's the "taker" -- if there's
no "owned by", does that mean that no one is working on it currently?
(-> in http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer I find "In cases where the
person responsible for fixing a bug is not the assigned maintainer for
the associated package (for example, when the package is maintained by
a team), it may be useful to record this fact in the bug tracking
system. To help with this, each bug may optionally have an owner"...).

As I haven't been very active here for quite some time, here's a
short recap of my background: I've been fiddling with computers and
other technical stuff for about as long as I can think back, and I
professionally work as a software developer for almost a decade now.
Yet, that doesn't mean I would have any experience with things anyone
contributing to debian should be familiar with.  I guess I might need
a bit of hand holding here...  So far, I've been a mere debian _user_.

Also, I generally don't have a lot of time, so, a project where I can
contribute 'loosely' without being the only one responsible sounds good
to me.  To be fair, I should mention that long-term reliability and
dedication unfortunately don't belong to my virtues.  If that's not a
big problem, I'd be happy to help out, if I can.  If you happen to
prefer more trustworthy folks, that's okay with me, too :)

Merci beaucoup,

Almut