Re: Debian-Women webpage possibly filtered by Telefonica

Am 2005-04-13 09:30:48, schrieb Javier Candeira:
> I have been reading about Canguro.net, the Telefonica filter. It is a
> "client-server" thing (their description, not mine), i.e. the filter does
> not run on our computers, but on their proxies.

I know it already...  There is a tool in Debian, which can filter
URL's and contents, but do not remember the name of it.

> That means, among other thing, the list filtered sites can't be
> reverse-engineered or decrypted, as US hacker-activists have done with
> netnanny and other products.

:-)

> It also means the technology to filter web content is already in place, at
> least in Spain. Doubly so as Telefonica, as the incumbent monopolist of
> yore, is the wholesale provider of DSL connections for other DSL vendors,
> thus having 99% of Spain's DSL lines.
>
> Nice, eh?

:-/

And if I think, there are some governement which like to force ISPs
to install such filters on there (small) Backbones...

So, right, it is not possibel to controll the whole Internet traffic
on a STM-64 with its 10 GBit/Second, but if governements force 1000
ISPs to filter it on there E3, OC-3/STM-1 or STM-4 then it will be
possibel.

Hell, which thought...

We will have in each country 100, 1000, ...
big brothers which are watching us!

> Before I call the Telefonica press people with my questions, will someone
> please post a screenshot of what you see when trying to access the
> debian-women website?
>
> -- javier

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi