Re: Tangential topic -- Was: Re: Sexist Behaviour in Debian Women

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:23:17AM -0500, Erinn Clark wrote:
> * Pia Smith <pia@linux.org.au> [2004:12:16 09:13 +1100]:
> > 3) We need to be welcoming of men, of all people.

> I don't disagree with you, which I want to make clear, but this brings a
> thought to mind:

> How accepting should we be, exactly? For example, one of my concerns is
> that the list and IRC channel will be "overrun" (for lack of a better
> word) by well-meaning men. When the men are very helpful, nice, and support
> our goals, it's not like we can say "Hey, the statistics are all out of
> whack here, it's still a male majority", without being rude and losing
> valuable members of the community. But I'm not sure how it looks to new
> people or what they're expecting and if this will scare them off.

> Is this just something we deal with? Watch out for until it gets out of
> hand? Are there any precautions we can take, or is it not a concern at all?

I think it's a fine line between taking precautions against preserving a
particular minimum gender ratio in debian-women, and creating an insular
community that loses sight of the goal of getting more women *into Debian*,
which is most definitely not going to have a "normal" gender ratio for some
time to come.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer